Meat Porters was made in response to a commission by Harlow Art Trust for the town's Market Square in 1960. Previously a concrete version, Sarcophori, had won the second prize for sculpture at the John Moore's Exhibition, Liverpool, in 1959 and had also enjoyed great acclaim elsewhere. Predictably the sculpture, depicting a flayed carcass of an ox being carried by two naked men, caused a stir in Harlow, but it was reported that the commissioning body greeted the unveiling of the concrete maquette with a universal gasp of delight. The Harlow sculpture was subsequently made from a new mould taken from the repaired model originally used for the concrete and a further resin cast. It was from this version that Meat Porters was cast from, which bears an overall resemblance to the Harlow piece, but which is substantially different. Meat Porters is both grey and yellow-pink reminiscent of skin, thereby underlining both the brutal and curiously tender qualities of his sculpture. It brings to mind Rembrandt's painting The Slaughtered Ox (1655), and surgeons' illustrations of flayed bodies of that time. Only one bronze was made of the original edition, thereby making the sculpture for Harlow more permanent. It is interesting to note that this sculpture, once vilified by the local populous, was in 1998 listed by National Heritage as a protected monument - one of only eighteen twentieth-century sculptures to be designated as such.